A&S Graduate Student Travel Support Program (GSTS)
Purpose: The main purpose of the Graduate Student Travel Support Program is to encourage and support graduate student travel to present their research and scholarly work at society/professional meeting. This funding is intended to catalyze innovative research and creative activities involving A&S students/faculty and increase awareness of the scholarly achievements of Mississippi State University.
Funding is available to support all disciplines and is expected to leverage resources or collaborations resulting in impactful research and scholarly activities with the potential to elevate the ranking, reputation, and research productivity of A&S and MSU.
GSTS funds are made available through the Arts & Sciences Dean's Office and are intended to facilitate graduate student scholarship and success.
GSTS Eligibility Requirements and Guidelines:
Round 1 (Travel Dates: July 1 - Dec. 31, 2023)
- May 15th, 2023 : Application Opens
- June 16th, 2023 : Application Deadline
Round 2 (Travel Dates: Jan. 1 - June 30, 2024)
- October 16th, 2023 : Application Opens
- November 15th, 2023 : Application Deadline
- Graduate Student Travel Support Applications must be filled out and submitted via the online Portal . Click the "login" button at the top right of the screen and use your NetID and Password to access the application.
- The graduate student MUST present a paper or poster at the meeting for which travel is being supported.
- A student can receive only one award per year.
- Maximum contribution by College of Arts & Sciences: Up to $400 per student
- The Department must commit to at least 50% departmental match to College's funds (regardless of funds from major professor).
- Final decisions will be made by the Associate Dean of Research, College of Arts & Sciences. Funding decisions will be made within two weeks after the deadline. Students, their major professors, graduate coordinators, and department heads will receive an e-mail of award notification. Instructions for travel reimbursement will be included.
- Acadex/ORED, SRI, & GSTS: when traveling and presenting at conferences, meeting, etc. the MSU logo must be present during faculty/graduate student presentations.
Student must complete and submit the A&S Graduate Student Travel Support Application Form via the online Portal. Applications will automatically be routed for required electronic approval (Major Professor, Graduate Coordinator, and Department Head).
Student must also submit a travel report within 30 days of return. The report form must be submitted by logging back into the portal at https://webapps.its.msstate.edu/cas/cfo/travel/grad/ and completing the final step of your original travel support request.
Will receive notification that a submission is waiting in the Major Professor's que. Electronic approval is required on the online application form. By logging into the Portal and approving the request, the Major Professor indicates their support of the student's travel request.
Will receive notification that a submission is waiting in the Head's que. Electronic approval is required on the online application form. By logging into the Portal and approving, the Department Head indicates their support of the student's travel request and any departmental funding commitment. Once approved by the department head, all requests will be sent electronically to the ADR (Dr. Giselle Thibaudeau) for final review and funding recommendation.